Ten Web Development Concepts Designers Should Know
I have spent many years working as a web developer alongside designers and, in the course of that, have found there are some web development concepts that are really useful if they are understood by designers.
I was asked by .net magazine if I would write an article based on this presentation, that article can be found on their website – 10 web development concepts designers should know.
Links, resources and further reading
The results from the survey I ran on Twitter, mentioned during the presentation, can be found here .
I wrote an article for .net magazine based on this presentation.
Writing a brief
- How to hire a programmer to make your ideas happen – a piece actually about hiring programmers but containing some excellent advice for getting your idea to something that can be quoted for.
- Six Revisions: 8 Tips on How To Manage Feature Creep
Consider Programming Constructs
- Webdesigner Depot: Intro to Git for Web Designers
- Think Vitamin: Subversion tutorial for designers
- Six Revisions: the ultimate guide to version control for designers
Professional development environments
- Virtual Machines for Developers – very useful post for Windows users on setting up Ubuntu VMs
- EasyPHP for Windows
- MAMP – if you work on lots of different sites I would recommend MAMP Pro to make it easy to set up vhosts.
- XAMPP – for Windows, Mac and Linux
- Drew McLellan: Stop building sites in subfolders
- Design Shack: 27 Utilities for Saving and Sharing Code Snippets
- Snipplr – the snippet site references in the presentation
- Smashing Magazine: Getting Started With E-Commerce: Your Options When Selling Online
- UX4.com: Shopping Carts + Check-out … There is often no big single problem, there are “just” a lot of little problems.
- Smashing Magazine: Fundamental Guidelines of e-commerce Checkout Design
- Payment Card Industry Security Standards Council
- PayPoint: Getting PCI Compliant – PayPoint is also my recommended UK PSP.
- Choosing web hosting
- Reselling Webhosting to clients – some things to think about if your are considering doing this
- Google Webmaster Central: Quick Security Checkist for Webmasters
- Google Webmaster Central: my site’s been hacked. Now what?
- Stop Badware: Tips for Cleaning and Securing your Website
Montreal Girl Geeks, Montreal, Canada, 2013
10 Web Development Concepts a Designer Should Know
While I was in town for ConFoo the Montreal Girl Geeks asked me along to present to them.
Future of Web Design, London, 2011
10 Web Development Concepts Designers Should Know
This talk was originally created for Future of Web Design in London, 2011.