In December I wrote It Is Never Done, a post about how we often don’t take the time to look back at the things we have finished, and celebrate them. I’ve written a more personal post about how tough 2013 was in many ways, but I also believe I have produced some of my best work as a writer this year. I’ve taken a step away from writing about web development and towards writing about being a business person on the web. I am really enjoying sharing my experience of 13 years in business – both in client services and as a product company.
Here are some of the articles, podcast interviews and presentations from 2013 that I think are most useful to those of you running businesses or launching new projects and products this year.
Taking payments and being paid
- A hostile environment – Payments, the PCI DSS and UK Digital Businesses
- Preventing accounting chaos in your product business with Xero
- Credit and Risk – getting paid for your work
- A List Apart – Pricing Underpins Everything You Do
Side projects and product business
- Making your product a first class citizen
- The Bootstrapped Product Resource List
- My interview on the Chasing Product podcast
- On Smashing Magazine – Start Small and Listen
- A List Apart – How do you go on vacation?
- Unfashionably Profitable
- Working from home and the proper business
- My talk at Industry Conf: All of a sudden … no luck!
- Support Ops podcast – episode 24
- Review of Snappy – Customer Service Simplified